Each time a new season comes around, there are new fashion trends — it’s tough to keep up, especially when you’re on a budget. The good news is there are affordable women’s winter accessories that can revamp your entire wardrobe. Sure, you can add these pieces to your trendy outfits, but you also can combine them with some simple, classic pieces to instantly multiply the number of outfits in your closet and refresh your wardrobe.
Scarves, hats, jewelry and handbags are all cute, cost-conscious ways to revamp your wardrobe. Whether you’re searching for an option to wear to a get-together with friends or coworkers, an outdoor hike, bonfire party or a relaxing night in, with these stylish women’s winter accessories, you have plenty of options for a variety of occasions and looks. All of them are cozy, comfortable and chic — the perfect combination for your winter wardrobe.
Scarves are a versatile accessory for any season, but especially in winter, because you can get fashionable options that can also keep you warm, like an oversized blanket scarf or a chunky knit pom-pom scarf. All these scarves, plus any type of infinity scarf or rectangular scarf, are a creative way to add to your wardrobe without breaking the bank.
In addition to having your choice of scarf type and style, you can also fold your scarves different ways to create even more looks to revamp your winter wardrobe. While some scarves, like the oversized blanket scarf, are too big for some of these folds, many of them work well with everything from a lighter rectangular scarf to a chunky knit scarf. We’ve included a few notes about folding with each of the types of scarves below, so you can truly maximize this winter accessory’s contribution to your wardrobe.
Chunky Knit Scarf
Chunky knit scarves are a favorite for winter because they’re made from a soft, midweight fabric, so they’re comfortable and can help keep you warm, but not so warm you won’t want to wear them inside. These scarves are bulky and come in a variety of shapes and colors, giving you the option to select the style you prefer. Simple wraps and folds work well with this chunky type of scarf.
There are a few popular ways to wrap this type of scarf, including wrapping the ends of the scarf around opposite sides of your neck and back around to the front. If you have an extra-long scarf and/or are headed out in the cold and want to bundle up, consider wrapping one end of the scarf around your neck a few times, ending in the front or back to maximize warmth and give yourself a fashionable, comfortable style.
Yet another option is to fold the scarf in half, wrapping the folded end around one side of your neck and the open ends around the other. Then, pull the open ends through the folded end. Note: This wrap may not work for all chunky scarfs, depending on the thickness.
Chunky Knit Pom-Pom Scarf
Similar wraps and folds work well with the chunky knit pom-pom scarf. Take the comfort and warmth of a chunky knit scarf and add two stylish pom-poms on the end for a fashionable twist. Pom-poms may blend seamlessly with the color of the scarf, or provide an accent color. Regardless, this scarf provides a slightly different look than the regular chunky knit scarf, which gives you the opportunity to create yet another look with some of the basics you have in your wardrobe — perhaps choosing to match it with a knit pom-pom beanie.
Oversized Blanket Scarf
If chunky knit scarves aren’t cuddly enough for you, an oversized blanket scarf could be the perfect fit. These scarves not only double as blankets, but also a sweater. Their large size makes them a cozy addition to any outfit in the winter as an extra-warm, comfortable layer.
The most popular way to fold an oversized blanket scarf is to fold it in half in the shape of a triangle. Then, take the two ends along the folded edge and wrap them around the back of your neck, crossing them behind your neck and wrapping them back around the front. Take it one step further and knot the ends together. You can even belt them with your outfit to create a similar, yet unique, look.
In addition to having scarves to refresh your winter wardrobe, winter hats are another way to expand upon the outfits you have in your closet without breaking the bank. There are several different styles available, but some of our favorite options for warmth and comfort are knit beanies, thick-knit beanies and cable-knit beanies.
Knit beanies are a must-have for any wardrobe. They offer the perfect fit to ensure you stay warm and stylish. You can mix and match a classic knit beanie with any outfit. These stylish hats offer a soft, close fit, and you can wear them in a variety of ways. One way is to cover your entire head, including your hair, in the beanie for a more polished look. Another looser-fit option is to put the hat on your head, pull back the extra fabric and line up the hem of the beanie with your hairline, allowing your hair to peek out from underneath.
The thick-knit beanie has become a classic fashion statement and can be a marvelous addition to any wardrobe. They offer a thicker and tighter vertical pattern knit compared to the classic knit beanie, ensuring your head stays warm. With their slouching rear, the thick-knit beanie provides an artistic touch you can wear with a variety of hairstyles.
Cable-knit beanies have beautiful, exquisite details you’ll want to show off! These hats are soft and squishy to the touch, and offer excellent protection from brutally cold temperatures. A cable-knit beanie is perfect for the outdoorsy fashionista, or to add a touch of creative style to your outfit.
Ways to Style a Beanie
There are several style options and colors to choose from when deciding what type of beanie is best for you. Below are some tips to think about when choosing how to wear your beanie.
- Pop of color: Beanies come in a variety of colors to accent any outfit. Pair a lollipop-red or a more neutral pink beanie to create a more exciting look.
- Outfit theme: Pull together a popular monochrome look by adding a stylish beanie to top off your statement of color.
- Fun addition: Want to add a little fun to your next outfit? Beanies with pom-poms can spice up your outfit’s cuteness factor as they bounce while you walk and talk!
- Echo an accent color: Have a dash of pastel pink in your otherwise unicolor outfit? Wear a beanie to highlight the pastel color you wish to emphasize.
Ways One Accessory Can Transform Your Wardrobe
Want to transform your next outfit to fit in with the latest trends, or refresh your current wardrobe without breaking the bank?
Everyone always envisions changes for the year ahead during winter months, particularly when the new year begins. Closet changes, updates or entire alterations are a popular item on those lists. In keeping with the “new year, new you” mindset, a new look often means a wardrobe transformation. Fashion accessories are a more affordable way to reinvent your existing wardrobe without having to buy all-new clothes.
Whether it is saving money, highlighting assets or changing up your otherwise bland attire, they can be the change you’ve been dreaming of. Here are some ways fashion accessories can transform your wardrobe.
- Save money: Accessories cost much less than buying new clothes to change up your current look. By easily switching up the shoes, belt, purse, scarf or hat you pair with a simple black dress, you can transition seamlessly from a professional, polished daytime look to a night out on the town.
- Change your mood: Wearing a business suit can make you feel more powerful — accessories can do the same. Reinvent your wardrobe on a budget by pairing an ornate statement necklace with a plain blouse to feel more outgoing. Wearing your favorite pair of hoop earrings can make you feel more fun and relaxed. Topping your outfit off with a slouchy beanie can put you in an eccentric, creative mood.
- Refresh your wardrobe: Accessories can add dimension, emphasis and harmony to an existing outfit. Pairing a basic white T-shirt with jeans and a colorful bag or scarf can transform your overall look. Adding a statement necklace, bracelet or heels can liven up the boring dress you’ve gotten tired of wearing.
- Assist in a pinch: If you are in a hurry to prepare for an unexpected get-together, meeting or event, don’t be afraid to accessorize! A pair of stylish sunglasses, red lipstick, sassy shoes or a colorful scarf can add sophistication and more appealing visual interest to your current outfit.
Adding accessories to your current wardrobe can be fun and super-easy too! For your next girls’ night, gather your closest girlfriends and swap outfit ideas. If you’re in a squeeze and need a cute purse for an event, you could borrow a friend’s bag for the evening. You can add accessories to achieve fresh, up-to-date outfits in your closet.
- Hats: To intensify your ordinarily plain outfits, top them off with a chic hat. Trendy fedoras, beanies or floppy beach hats can immediately transform an outfit from drab to fab. Experiment to determine the style options that look best on you, and don’t be shy about using a rainbow of colors, as well.
- Scarves: Scarves are a classic fashion accessory that never fail when it comes to fitting in with current trends. To update any outfit, pair a chunky knit scarf with a blazer during the winter months, and a lightweight floral scarf with a T-shirt during the summer months.
- Bold necklaces: Dress up a dull or plain outfit with a bold necklace. Statement necklaces come in a variety of colors, sizes and styles, which allow you to play around and have fun creating your new look.
- Statement bags: Pick up some varied sizes, colors and styles of clutches or bags to enhance your outfit in the winter months. Pairing a winter coat with a large, bright clutch will add a stylish flair.
- Belts: Belts are an easy way to create interest in an outfit. They can be fun, or they can add a more sophisticated edge to your outfit.
- Detachable collars/bibs: Add a collar or bib to one of your current sweaters or V-necks to give the illusion of a collared shirt.
- Watches: Watches are not only practical, but they can be a fantastic way to accessorize any casual or professional outfit. There are numerous styles, colors and sizes available to choose from.
- Sunglasses: Make a fashion statement year-round while protecting your eyes with fashion-forward pairs of sunglasses. Available in a variety of shapes and sizes, these are an iconic fashion accessory to include in your wardrobe.
- Gloves: A pair of gloves can add a touch of color to your outfit. Leather gloves can add a sleeker appearance. They come in numerous styles and colors, so you can keep your hands warm during the winter months — in fashion.
There are a variety of accessories that can help reinvent your current wardrobe, while providing you with added benefits to make you excited to pick out your next outfit! They can aesthetically and functionally pull an outfit together. You might even find yourself with a brand-new look by adding just a few staple accessories.
Implement Minimalism to Refresh Your Wardrobe
The daily task of picking out an outfit can be daunting for some people. An overstuffed closet with an overabundance of fabrics, patterns and colors can be overwhelming when all you want to do is get out the door, yet still look fashionable.
Decision fatigue, a term involving a phenomenon called ego depletion, is how Mark Zuckerberg cites his reasoning for wearing a grey T-shirt and black hoodie as his daily “uniform.” A minimalist or capsule wardrobe is a popular movement nowadays, as the fashion industry has transitioned from quality to quantity over the last 50 years.
The statistics regarding the amount of clutter we have in our lives are astounding. Some of the most surprising include:
- There are 300,000 items in the average American home.
- The average American woman owns 30 outfits — compared to nine in 1930. That is one outfit for every day of the month.
- Americans throw away 65 pounds of clothing per year.
- Compared to 50 years ago, Americans consume twice as many material goods.
- We will spend an estimated 3,680 hours of our lifetime looking for misplaced items.
- Americans spend $1.2 trillion annually on items they do not need.
- The average 10-year-old has 238 toys, yet only plays with 12 daily.
Having a high-impact collection of accessories is the secret to pulling off a successful capsule wardrobe. Most of the time, accessories that are well-made, high-quality and versatile are easier to find than clothing items. Let’s look at some of the benefits of accessories when it comes to a capsule wardrobe.
- Showcase artisanal work: Handmade accessories are exceptionally beautiful and detailed. They also have a strong, positive economic impact.
- One size fits all: There is no need to spend time trying on different sizes to find the perfect fit with one-size-fits-all accessories. They are also perfect for gifts and sharing with friends or family.
- Require little maintenance: Accessories only require a polish every so often to stay in tip-top shape and will last for years.
- Fashion repeats are OK: Unlike the fashion faux pas of wearing the same blouse twice in a week, most people will not notice if you repeat accessories.
- Save space: If you are looking to optimize your closet space by getting rid of clothes, adding accessories will not contribute to your space dilemma. By using creative storage ideas such as stackable bins, you can keep accessories in a clutter-free way.
You can easily revamp your wardrobe to eliminate the stress of the decision-making process every morning and incorporate high-quality, versatile accessories.
Get Winter Accessories to Revamp Your Winter Wardrobe
If you’re looking for ideas of how to reinvent your existing wardrobe by shopping for some of these simple, stylish accessories, consider gathering a few of your closest friends and family members and see what My Sister’s Closet Boutique has to offer. We carry trendy options that are sure to work within your budget, but also to expand upon and complement the pieces you already have in your closet — and the best part is our clothing and accessories are comfortable. Contact us today to learn more!