Mom Jeans - to some, it's the newest trend in denim, and to others, it's a style that's been around for ages and just making it's way back! For us at MSC, Mom Jeans are a fun change of pace from the popular skinny jean and we love the 90's throwback feel that they give us (Rachel Green, anyone?)
So, what exactly makes Mom Jeans different from skinny jeans, or even the popular boyfriend cut style? The Mom Jean features a high waist and a loosely-fitted, straight leg that tapers slightly towards the ankle. This style of denim is often cropped above the ankle, but can also come all the way down to the heel. This style of denim makes anyone look taller and gives you a more feminine fit compared to the more relaxed boyfriend silhouette.
Mom jeans come in a variety of washes and styles - including distressed details, paper bag waists, and even pleated details. They are comfortable, trendy, and easy to move around in - making them the ultimate pair of denim for any woman on the go.
However, we know that this style of denim might feel pretty foreign or intimidating, especially after years and years of skinny jeans. We want every woman at MSC who wants to give the Mom Jean trend a try to feel confident and prepared to wear them! So, here are 10 ways to wear mom jeans, because having outfit ideas for mom jeans will make wearing them effortless and easy!
10 Ways to Style Mom Jeans:
1. Pair with White Tee for classic, casual look! Effortless, timeless, and chic - you just can't go wrong with the classic denim and white tee look! Keep it casual by adding platform sneakers and make sure to tuck in the tee to show off the high-waisted details! Our Perfect Pocket Tees are the perfect tee to try out with this outfit idea - they are just $10.00!
2. Wear with a fitted body suit to balance out the slightly loose silhouette. If you are nervous about these jeans being a little too loose for your liking, the best way to balance it out is by pairing them with a bodysuit! This gives you a more fitted piece on top and makes it easy to achieve that tucked-in look without having to worry about it riding up!
3. Add a chunky cardigan for ultra trendy look. Chunky cardigans with oversized sleeves were made to be paired with mom jeans! Maybe it's the fact that both styles come from the roots of the older generations, but they just go together and create a very hip and trendy look! We recommend keeping a bodysuit on underneath the cardigan to make sure the outfit still is balanced from being oversized!
4. Throw on an oversized sweater. Not feeling the chunky cardigan, but still want to be warm? Try a light-weight, but oversized sweater instead. Bonus points if it's slightly cropped, which helps with a front tuck and shows off the high-waisted look!
5. Pair with a slightly cropped top. If you are wearing an ultra high-rise pair of mom jeans, they are the perfect companion for a slightly cropped top! The boxy cropped fit allows you to show off the more fitted high waist and can really highlight those who have hourglass body shapes!
6. Front Tuck in a Tee with color! Not into the compete tucked in look? Don't worry - a simple front tuck works with Mom Jeans, too! Don't be afraid to pair with color or stripes to make the outfit more vibrant!
7. Knot a graphic tee and throw on sandals for a casual summer look. Graphic tees are the PERFECT thing to have on hand for mom jeans - especially in the summer! They make expressing yourself trendy and easy and look adorable knotted with high waisted mom jeans. Just add a pair of sandals and you'll be ready to go!
8. Business Casual and mom jeans? Add a blazer and heels! Yes! Mom Jeans can totally work in a trendy business setting if styled correctly! Swap out sneakers with strappy heels and throw on a blazer to really jazz things up. Pair it with a slightly messy bun and some jewelry to finish off the look.
9. Make a statement with print or fun sleeves (or both!) Want to change up your mom jeans outfit from classic to bold and fun? Choose a top that has a fun color palette, statement sleeves, or a floral print (or all three!) Make sure to tuck it in to still show off the high-waisted details of your jeans! The Lauren Ribbed Top (pictured below) is a great example of this!
10. Try a top untucked and heeled sandals for a transitional look! Looking to ease yourself into the mom jeans trend but not ready to tuck your top into the high waist line just yet? No worries! Wear a slightly boxy top (which gives you a cropped look) and pick something with details along the bottom of the hem to really make it stand out! Throw on some heeled sandals to elevate the look to the next level!
Mom Jeans may feel a little different at first, but they are incredibly versatile and there are so many fun ways to style them! Which outfit is your favorite? You can pin this post to Pinterest to reference in the future!
Shop all our bottoms (including current mom jean styles) here!